All graduate students at the UC Berkeley School of Public Health are welcome to join Cal STAPH. To subscribe to the Cal STAPH mailing list, visit this page.
What’s in it for you?
- Gain practical experience in public health through outbreak investigation and public health preparedness activities
- Network with officials at state and local public health departments
- Learn valuable skills through applied public health training
How Cal STAPH works
Members learn about agency requests for assistance through the Cal STAPH mailing list. We will tell you how much time is required, any specific skills needed, and what type of activity it is. We will also let you know whether there is any travel involved. If an activity is of interest, you are encouraged to participate. You are welcome to participate in as many activities as you like.
To become a member of Cal STAPH, you must complete:
- Cal STAPH Membership Form (5 min)
- UC San Diego Research Aspects of HIPAA Online Tutorial (20 min)
- Introduction to Incident Command System (ICS-100) (3 hrs)
- Subscribe to the Cal STAPH mailing list, if you have not already
These trainings ensure that students will be eligible to respond to requests for assistance from Bay Area health departments.
Certificates confirming completion of these courses should be emailed to email@example.com. Please make the subject of your email “Certificates for [first name] [last name]”. You can email the certificates in two ways: (1) Save the certificate as a PDF and attach it to an email, or (2) Copy-paste the certificate text into an email. If you have already completed these trainings, please email documentation confirming course completion to the Coordinator using the instructions above.
Cal STAPH members are expected to attend monthly meetings and participate in at least one activity or training per semester. Unless health departments request specific skills, participation in each activity is on a first-come, first-served basis.